Saturday, February 22, 2014

Computers in Our Lives

How has the introduction of the ‘personal computer’ and ‘the World Wide Web’ changed our way of life?

Well, how hasn't it changed our way of life? I honestly cannot think of a single way that the computer and web has not changed our way of life. From how we shop to how we can interact with people anywhere, technology has changed everything. Even now, most people have cell phones that are connected to the web that allow for these interactions to happen where ever they are, even if their isn't WiFi or an ethernet connection.

I can remember when my family got our first computer and how weird it was. It would make a horrible sound when it connected to the web, (you know, that lovely dial-up connecting sound) and would load each page very slowly. I can remember playing computer games on that computer and creating my first AOL account on it.

Oh my gosh, THIS SCREEN.  I hated being stuck on this screen.

Ever since then it feels like I've always had a computer close by.  When I turned 14 I got my own laptop and when I turned 16 I got my first phone that would allow me to access the internet wherever and whenever I wanted.  Of course, this technology has changed every aspect of our lives because now we have it with us wherever we go.  Trying to find a good place to eat?  Yelp.  Lost?  Google Maps.  Take a cool picture and post it to Instagram.  I even used the internet while I was learning how to cook.  My job requires that I use my own computer, and look at what I'm doing right now, I'm on my own computer writing this post up on the web for class.

Trying to identify specific ways that the internet and computers have changed our lives is impossible, it's just happened, and in my opinion, computers have made things pretty dang cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment