Sunday, February 16, 2014

Story Immersion

Is there a point in which a story (deep media) can become too immersive? Can fans become too involved?


Uh, no way!

That would be the short answer in my opinion.  I don't think that there is a way for people to become too immersed in deep media.  As a rather fanatic fan of quite a few "fandoms" I don't think that there is a way for people to be too involved.  In addition to that, as an advertising student, I think that it is the goal of any thing that is being consumed to have people become so immersed in that culture that they bring other people to that culture.  

If you really think that people can be so immersed in a story, then you are probably a person that does not understand Comic-Con.  The people who go to Comic-Con are so immersed in their stories that they spend hundreds of dollars on passes and sometimes dress up while they talk to the stars and creators of their favorite stories.  

Comic-Con crowds.

Those people who are so immersed in the stories are the love group of that story.  Studying those people will help advertisers understand how to bring more people to that story.  In addition to advertisers learning how to bring people to a specific story, those people who are often immersed in specific story bring their connections into that story too.  I have many friends that have introduced me to stories that they love and I in turn have passed those stories along to others and expanded that immersion.  

I don't think it is a bad thing to be immersed in a story, it pretty much becomes a part of your culture.  

1 comment:

  1. The Love Group. So important to get these people on your team. I agree that studying these people is key to finding out what people love about your product or service.

    ReplyDelete