Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Podcast Connections

I'm going to be honest, I know nothing about podcasts.  I don't understand them and I've been having a difficult time trying to understand who these people are and who listens to and watches podcasts.  After looking at Google Adwords, I am even more confused.  It does not seem like many people search for these podcasts at all.  Most terms, even very general terms, had under 100 searches a month.  Only a couple had more than a hundred and all of them were under 200 a month.  All of the keywords had low competition and only one had the ability to even put a bid on it.  (That term started at $2.00 a click, and for a term that only gets 170 clicks a month, I thought that sounded a bit pricy.)

After looking at all of the options, I realized that using Google Adwords and looking at podcasters would not help us find our potential customers.  I honestly do not think that they have a large enough audience to make a noticeable mark on Westercon attendance and I think that focusing on other areas would be more beneficial in the long run. If Westercon decides to host a couple of workshops that are specifically designed for Podcasters or if Podcasters would decide to make Westercon a gathering point for their fans, then maybe we would have something.  However, that is not the case at the moment.

After reviewing the very small numbers returned by Google, I figured that I would focus on building the Westercon brand and use very general podcast terms, including the terms that turned up the most clicks per month.  As I stated before though, I do not think that we should pursue podcasters unless the podcasters receive something from Westercon, such as a class or workshop.  If we target these fans without some specific draw for them, I believe it will not work out in the end.

My Ideas:

Facebook:
Have you always wanted to write a fantasy fiction podcast?  Come learn how at Westercon 67 this July in Salt Lake City.  Click here for more!

Do you always come up with excuses for not writing?  Kick that writer’s block to the curb and check out Westercon 67.

Learn how to write a podcast this summer at Westercon 67.  Click here for more.

Become the writer for the best horror podcast.  Learn how to write the best scripts and more at Westercon 67. 


Do you often listen to horror story podcasts?  Meet those podcasters and learn how to write your own at Westercon 67.

Twitter:
Want to start a fantasy fiction podcast?  Come learn how to start at @westercon67.

No more excuses for not writing!  Kick that writer's block once and for all at @Westercon67 

Are you writing a podcast and want to make it better?  Come learn how to become a better writer at @Westercon67 

Become the best horror podcaster by sharpening your skills at @Westercon67 

Podcasters unite to write and discuss their favorite episodes at @Westercon67 
Meet other people who love horror fiction podcasts at @Westercon67 and learn to write your own.

Are you a bloody good horror podcaster?  Come meet fans and writers at @Westercon67 and learn how to write your own podcast.

Are you a follower of creative writing podcasts?  Come meet other fans and podcasters and even learn to write your own at @Westercon67 

Are you always writing podcasts that you never host?  Come learn how to put a podcast together and meet other podcasters at @Westercon67 

Create the best fantasy fiction podcast of them all with the help of many other writers and fans at @Westercon67 

****So we are supposed to attach a spreadsheet to the post but here's my problem, I'm supposed to be working until class and I have class until late tonight and no way to access a computer that will allow me to insert a working spreadsheet by 7.  So this is it.  This is all I can do today because there is no way I can finish this assignment by the deadline with work and school.  Sorry.

Google Keyword Planner
bloody good horror podcast

50
Low
-
0%


horror story podcasts

50
Low
-
0%

best horror podcast

30
Low
-
0%

the horror podcast

20
Low
-
0%

horror stories podcast

70
Low
-
0%

house of horror podcast

40
Low
-
0%

horror story podcast

40
Low
-
0%


best horror podcasts

90
Low
-
0%


horror etc podcast

70
Low
-
0%


horror podcasts

140
Low
-
0%


arkham horror podcast

10
Low
-
0%


podcast horror

10
Low
-
0%

podcast horror stories

10
Low
-
0%



horror podcast stories

10
Low
-
0%

tales of horror podcast

10
Low
-
0%

best horror story podcasts
-
-
-
0%

fearshop horror podcast

20
Low
-
0%

horror fiction podcast

30
Low
-
0%

creative writing podcasts

20
Low
-
0%

writers on writing podcast

20
Low
-
0%

fiction writing podcast

10
Low
-
0%

best writing podcast
-
-
-
0%

reading and writing podcast

30
Low
-
0%

creative writing podcast

30
Low
-
0%

writing podcasts

170
Low
$2.00
0%

i should be writing podcast

70
Low
-
0%

writing excuses podcast

140
Low
-
0%

fantasy podcasts

40
Low
-
0%

fantasy fiction podcast

170
Low
-

0%

2 comments:

  1. I agree that podcasts aren't necessarily the best way to advertise, but I did like the ideas and examples you came up with! I think it's good that some of them were more broad and applied to more people rather than just podcasters. Good job, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Podcast... turns out that it isn't quite the right market or area we're looking to leverage. I agree.

    ReplyDelete